- A rock carving, especially a prehistoric one.More example sentences
- Established in 1990, this national park holds over 17,000 petroglyphs, or carvings and drawings made on rocks, some of which are over 2,000 years old.
- In Norway, petroglyphs carved in rock by Stone Age hunters are threatened by air pollution.
- Among its various attractions, Wrangell has totem poles and native-carved petroglyphs that date back an estimated 8,000 years.
late 19th century: from petro- 'rock' + Greek gluphē 'carving'.
More definitions of petroglyphDefinition of petroglyph in:
- The British & World English dictionary