A type of cell within the body capable of engulfing and absorbing bacteria and other small cells and particles.
- Histologic studies have shown polymetric birefringent particles surrounded by mononuclear phagocytes and multinucleated foreign body giant cells.
- Fc receptors mediate various effects on immune cells, including proliferation of B cells and phagocytosis by phagocytes.
- Following IVIG therapy in patients with ITP, platelet counts generally rise, apparently by Fc receptor blockade of splenic phagocytes and other reticuloendothelial cells.
- Example sentences
- Neutrophils and monocytes are the most phagocytic of the white blood cells; they ingest foreign particles, bacteria, and degenerating cells and cell fragments whether or not they can digest them.
- Products of complement activation cause smooth muscle contraction and increased vascular permeability and induce degranulation of phagocytic cells, mast cells, and basophils.
- Finally, we determined whether PPAR [gamma] activation increased CD36 expression by human AMs, and consequently augmented their phagocytic capacity for apoptotic neutrophils.
Late 19th century: from Greek phago- 'eating' (from the verb phagein) + -cyte.
For editors and proofreaders
Definition of phagocyte in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.