1Relating to or resembling a phallus or erect penis: a phallic symbol
More example sentences
- Shiva is also the god of fertility and is mostly worshipped in the phallic symbol called Linga.
- If the sports car is considered some sort of phallic substitute or symbol, then the quad bike is equally emblematic.
- Weapons carried by the gang are shaped into huge phallic symbols, demonstrating a sense of vigorous male power or animal instinct, manifested in behaviour like the marking of territory.
1.1 Psychoanalysis Of or denoting the genital phase of psychosexual development, especially in males.
- Freudian theory would suggest that the corporate cultures of these organizations often institutionalize various combinations of oral, phallic and genital sexuality.
- Much of the tragedy of the story can be traced to the unhappy childhood of Luke and Leia; with their mother dead, Luke has no focus for his sexual desires during the phallic stage of his development.
- We talk about sexual openness and sexual ambiguity, yet the current psychological ideal of phallic masculinity is as rigid and coercive as it ever was.
- Example sentences
- The largest and busiest altar was for Gede, the often phallically depicted lwa of death, cemeteries, and sexual resurrection.
- By displaying musical workers and their tools (usually phallically invested guitars), these magazines designate craftsmanship and professionalism as vectors of male empowerment.
- Its frontage gleams with neon, and above the gaudy porch is a statue of a four-horsed laurel-wreathed charioteer, his spear raised phallically into the dull London sky.
Late 18th century: from French phallique, from Greek phallikos, from phallos (see phallus).
Words that rhyme with phallicAlec, cephalic, encephalic, Gallic, intervallic, italic, medallic, mesocephalic, metallic, Salic, tantalic, Uralic, Vandalic
Definition of phallic in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.