- Someone had set up a strobe light in the back, so the dancing figures were in silhouette, and their movements appeared to consist of a series of slides; like the images from a phantasmagoria.
- NBC producer David Michaels and director John Gonzalez put a phantasmagoria of images up on screen in the more than an hour-and-a-half of the telecast.
- These paintings harbour a menagerie of folk-monsters, a phantasmagoria of apparitions that might be beatific angels or might be ghoulish extraterrestrials.
- Example sentences
- These scenes of retrieval of the past are presented as Jones's dreams or hallucinations, half-light phantasmagoric visions.
- It's an unreal, phantasmagoric place, Ford's America: an unashamedly sublime, romantic, sinister spectacle.
- Once Banks arrives in Shanghai, however, the story enters a more phantasmagoric world, and nightmarish and unreal events seem to occur.
- Example sentences
dreamlike, psychedelic, kaleidoscopic, surreal, unreal, hallucinatory, fantastic, fantastical, chimerical
- They released a string of brilliantly weird hits with phantasmagorical Tim Pope videos and amassed huge success in America.
- The works are beguilingly small, and in clean acrylic colours on canvas, have a phantasmagorical kaleidoscopic effect, which is dizzying in its intensity.
- Its contents were by turns phantasmagorical, hyperreal, surreal, and saturnalian.
Early 19th century (originally the name of a London exhibition (1802) of optical illusions produced chiefly by magic lantern): probably from French fantasmagorie, from fantasme 'phantasm' + a fanciful suffix.
Words that rhyme with phantasmagoriaauditoria, ciboria, conservatoria, crematoria, emporia, euphoria, Gloria, moratoria, Pretoria, sanatoria, scriptoria, sudatoria, victoria, Vitoria, vomitoria
For editors and proofreaders
Definition of phantasmagoria in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.