Definition of pharmacology in English:
The branch of medicine concerned with the uses, effects, and modes of action of drugs.
- The main thrust of the book is to describe the toxicology and pharmacology of herbal products.
- The harm to benefit ratio varies according to the condition being treated, the drug's pharmacology, and the availability and safety of other therapeutic options.
- Most ADRs were predictable from the known pharmacology of the drugs and many represented known interactions and are therefore likely to be preventable.
- Example sentences
- When the morphine alkaloid was identified as the active ingredient in opium, pharmacologic production of opiates became possible.
- Combining a cytochrome P450 inhibitor with a substrate can potentiate the pharmacologic effects of the substrate.
- With minor differences, atorvastatin exhibits similar pharmacologic characteristics as other statins.
- Example sentences
- Chemists and pharmacologists can alter a drug to decrease its entry into the central nervous system and avoid sleepiness as with the newer antihistamines.
- Collaborations between marine chemists, molecular pharmacologists, and cell biologists have yielded an impressive library of potentially useful cancer, viral, antibiotic, anti-inflammatory, cardiovascular, and CNS drugs.
- The authors are clinical pharmacologists with long experience of caring for patients with, and collating information on, adverse drug reactions.
Early 18th century: from modern Latin pharmacologia, from Greek pharmakon 'drug'.
Words that rhyme with pharmacologyanthropology, apology, archaeology (US archeology), astrology, biology, campanology, cardiology, chronology, climatology, cosmology, craniology, criminology, dermatology, ecology, embryology, entomology, epidemiology, etymology, geology, gynaecology (US gynecology), haematology (US hematology), hagiology, horology, hydrology, iconology, ideology, immunology, iridology, kidology, meteorology, methodology, musicology, mythology, necrology, neurology, numerology, oncology, ontology, ophthalmology, ornithology, parasitology, pathology, phraseology, phrenology, physiology, psychology, radiology, reflexology, scatology, Scientology, seismology, semiology, sociology, symbology, tautology, technology, terminology, theology, topology, toxicology, urology, zoology • eulogy • energy • synergy • apogee • liturgy • lethargy
Definition of pharmacology in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.