Definition of pharyngeal in English:
1Of or relating to the pharynx.
- The hypoglossal and glossopharyngeal nerves innervate pharyngeal dilator muscles.
- The levator veli palatini muscle, which elevates the soft palate, is innervated by a pharyngeal branch of the vagus nerve.
- Its fibers pass dorsally from an extensive anterior attachment to insert on the pharyngeal raphe, the pharyngeal tubercle of the occipital bone.
1.1 Phonetics (Of a speech sound) produced by articulating the root of the tongue with the pharynx, a feature of certain consonants in Arabic, for example.
- Modern phoneticians would more precisely categorize such consonants into velar, uvular, pharyngeal, and glottal articulations.
- From the lips back to the larynx, the IPA names 11 places of articulation: bilabial labiodental dental alveolar postalveolar retroflex palatal velar uvular pharyngeal glottal
nounPhonetics Back to top
A pharyngeal consonant.
- It has a series of ejectives, voiced stops that are truly voiced even in word-initial position, phonemic glottal stop, and several fricatives absent from English, including a pair of pharyngeals.
- We also find that the pharyngeals involve an even longer articulatory sequence than glottalized consonants.
- Cuneiform was in many ways unsuited to Akkadian: among its flaws was its inability to represent important phonemes in Semitic, including a glottal stop, pharyngeals, and emphatic consonants.
Definition of pharyngeal in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan