Definition of pharyngeal in English:
1Of or relating to the pharynx.
- The hypoglossal and glossopharyngeal nerves innervate pharyngeal dilator muscles.
- The levator veli palatini muscle, which elevates the soft palate, is innervated by a pharyngeal branch of the vagus nerve.
- Its fibers pass dorsally from an extensive anterior attachment to insert on the pharyngeal raphe, the pharyngeal tubercle of the occipital bone.
1.1 Phonetics (Of a speech sound) produced by articulating the root of the tongue with the pharynx, a feature of certain consonants in Arabic, for example.
- Modern phoneticians would more precisely categorize such consonants into velar, uvular, pharyngeal, and glottal articulations.
- From the lips back to the larynx, the IPA names 11 places of articulation: bilabial labiodental dental alveolar postalveolar retroflex palatal velar uvular pharyngeal glottal
nounPhonetics Back to top
A pharyngeal consonant.
- It has a series of ejectives, voiced stops that are truly voiced even in word-initial position, phonemic glottal stop, and several fricatives absent from English, including a pair of pharyngeals.
- We also find that the pharyngeals involve an even longer articulatory sequence than glottalized consonants.
- Cuneiform was in many ways unsuited to Akkadian: among its flaws was its inability to represent important phonemes in Semitic, including a glottal stop, pharyngeals, and emphatic consonants.
Definition of pharyngeal in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.