- A rule relating the possible numbers of phases, constituents, and degrees of freedom in a chemical system.More example sentences
- For simple systems, the Gibbs phase rule limits the conditions at which multiple phases can coexist at equilibrium.
- Briefly, if one collapse point is observed for a mixed film (in which individual components have differentiated collapse pressures) the surface phase rule determines lateral miscibility in the film.
- For lipid mixtures the phase rule allows a temperature interval in which water may be in equilibrium with gel and fluid lipid domains.
More definitions of phase ruleDefinition of phase rule in:
- The British & World English dictionary