A large long-tailed game bird native to Asia, the male of which typically has very showy plumage.
- Family Phasianidae: several genera and many species, in particular the ring-necked pheasant (Phasianus colchicus), which has been widely introduced for shooting
More example sentences
- I watched lapwings competing for nest sites on the damp fields where I also saw pheasants, grey partridges, teal and mallards.
- Game bird rearers say the demand for pheasants and partridges is rising as more country estate owners and farmers cash in on the boom.
- Burnett says young pheasants are especially vulnerable to buzzard attacks.
Middle English: from Old French fesan, via Latin from Greek phasianos '(bird) of Phasis', the name of a river in the Caucasus, from which the bird is said to have spread westward.
Definition of pheasant in:
- The British & World English dictionary