A colorless crystalline solid (pink in alkaline solution) used as an acid-base indicator and medicinally as a laxative.
- Chemical formula: C20H14O4
More example sentences
- The maintenance phase consisted of ‘Agarol’ (active ingredients: liquid paraffin, phenolphthalein, benzoic acid, and sorbic acid) 5-30 ml once or twice daily, senna granules, or bisacodyl tablets.
- The non-osmotic laxatives, phenolphthalein and senna, partly act by stimulating secretory mechanisms in the intestine.
- The listing is based on findings from feeding studies of phenolphthalein that caused cancer in multiple organs in multiple species of experimental animals.
Definition of phenolphthalein in:
- The British & World English dictionary