- A mock orange.More example sentences
- Mock orange, or philadelphus, prefers an organically enriched, moist, well-draining soil and filtered sun.
- It's kind of, well, just a slabbed area at the moment, but I have a plan to make it into a small courtyard garden, in green and white. I see white clematis, hostas, a scented philadelphus, pots of white lilies, maybe a white climbing rose.
- There are drifts of feverfew, clouds of philadelphus, grasses whispering in the breeze, and everywhere the perfume of 1,000 blossoms keeping the countryside alive in the heart of London.
late 18th century: modern Latin (adopted by Linnaeus as a genus name), from Greek philadelphos 'loving one's brother'.
More definitions of philadelphusDefinition of philadelphus in:
- The British & World English dictionary