Definition of philanthropic in English:
(Of a person or organization) seeking to promote the welfare of others, especially by donating money to good causes; generous and benevolent: they receive financial support from philanthropic bodies
More example sentences
- But she's a philanthropic person - her charitable foundation's done a lot of work.
- For much of our history medical care was delivered by religious organisations or philanthropic individuals and institutions.
- There are philanthropic organizations that raise money from the public and channel it to needy parents.
- Example sentences
- He did do good things, and was a very good friend - a very philanthropically minded person and a liberal spirit in an incredibly reactionary age.
- The vast sums that flew in and out of his accounts, he said in a classic Burkism, were ‘walking around money’, to be spent philanthropically while touring his constituency.
- TarraWarra was Australia's first philanthropically funded public museum, a gift by Eva and Marc Besen of Melbourne who raided their private collection to start it.