noun (plural philodendrons or philodendra /-drə/)
A tropical American climbing plant that is widely grown as a greenhouse or indoor plant.
- Genus Philodendron, family Araceae
More example sentences
- Aloe vera, chrysanthemums, golden pothos, philodendrons, and spider plants are believed to be effective air filters.
- There are many more plants that will thrive in medium light, among them Irish moss, Tahitian bridal veil, heart-leaved philodendron, pitcher plant, and butterwort.
- If you've got sun for half a day your options are widened to those plants with broad glossy green leaves such as philodendrons, monsteras and umbrella trees.
late 19th century: from philo- 'loving' + Greek dendron 'tree'.
Definition of philodendron in:
- The British & World English dictionary