noun(the philosopher's stone)
- A mythical substance supposed to change any metal into gold or silver and, according to some, to cure all diseases and prolong life indefinitely. Its discovery was the supreme object of alchemy.More example sentences
- Kristina continued her alchemical studies, trying to find the philosopher's stone and turn lead into gold.
- Combining sulphur and mercury may have been an attempt to produce the philosopher's stone.
- Alchemists, the tales go, sought to use a magical philosopher's stone to transmute lead into gold.
More definitions of philosopher's stoneDefinition of philosopher's stone in:
- The British & World English dictionary