- A drink supposed to arouse love and desire for a particular person in the drinker; a love potion.More example sentences
- Even seminal fluid has been treated as a love philtre or prophylactic in witchcraft, and administered by Aborigines to dying or enfeebled members of their community.
- All my life I've been searching for that special scent, that mythical philtre, that would enable me to snare the woman of my dreams.
- There's something purely foolish about attending any large gathering of men and women without benefit of some kind of philter or magic dust to blind you and weaken your critical faculties.
late 16th century: from French philtre, via Latin from Greek philtron, from philein 'to love'.
More definitions of philterDefinition of philter in:
- The British & World English dictionary