Definition of phishing in English:
The activity of defrauding an online account holder of financial information by posing as a legitimate company: [as modifier]: phishing exercises in which criminals create replicas of commercial Web sites
More example sentences
- The modern era of phishing is exemplified by emails messages from Nigerians posing as business partners trying to move money out of the African country.
- The second issue I have is that the most common attacks today collect passwords through phishing.
- To avoid being a victim of phishing, never respond to e-mail requests for personal information, no matter how official the message looks.
1990s: inspired by fishing, on the pattern of phreaking.
- Example sentences
- The claim here is that phishing is only illegal after someone is defrauded - and this law will make the actions required to phish (the fake website and fake email) illegal as well.
- In February, a Minnesota scammer who phished PayPal members, pleaded guilty to wire fraud in federal court.
- Since it claims they will block these sites, will a user who gets phished be able to sue it for not living up to their promise to block those sites?
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan