Definition of phoneme in English:
Any of the perceptually distinct units of sound in a specified language that distinguish one word from another, for example p, b, d, and t in the English words pad, pat, bad, and bat. Compare with allophone1.
- They can distinguish between any two sounds which represent distinct phonemes in any of the world's languages.
- Whereas the five classic vowel letters match the five vowel phonemes of a language like Spanish, they are insufficient to distinguish the much larger number of vowel phonemes of English.
- He was able to complete items requiring deletion of syllables and initial phonemes but had difficulty with items requiring deletion of final phonemes or phonemes within a word.
- Example sentences
- Research confirms that the manipulation of phonemes (e.g., phonemic awareness) is important in the reading process and allows students a clearer understanding of the alphabetic principle.
- Under the No Child Left Behind Act, state and local proposals for reading instruction must include five components: phonics, phonemic awareness, vocabulary, fluency, and text comprehension.
- Several researchers have concluded that directed instruction in various aspects of phonological processing, and phonemic awareness in particular, may be necessary to prevent early reading failure in some children.
- Example sentences
- The comments section has some interesting thoughts - including people who moot changing English spelling to reflect the phonetics or phonemics.
- At least since Pike's seminal work on the phonemics of tone languages, designers of orthographies have grappled with this problem.
- Time is what ultimately binds individual letters into words, without which there would be only phonemics.
Pronunciation: /fəˈnēmik, fō-/adjective
Pronunciation: /fəˈnēmiks, fō-/noun
Definition of phoneme in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan