- A phosphate ester of creatine found in vertebrate muscle, where it serves to store phosphates to provide energy for muscular contraction.More example sentences
- In tissues that have rapidly varying energy requirements, such as muscles and neurons, phosphocreatine serves as a crucial source for high-energy phosphate groups.
- During maximal intensity sprint swimming, the anaerobic breakdown of phosphocreatine and glycogen in muscles provides energy at rates many times greater than can be supplied by the aerobic breakdown of carbohydrate and fat.
- Muscle phosphocreatine, an energy storage molecule, is formed in a series of steps involving the pancreas, kidneys, small intestines, and the liver.
More definitions of phosphocreatineDefinition of phosphocreatine in:
- The British & World English dictionary