- A sedimentary rock containing a high proportion of calcium phosphate.More example sentences
- Under such conditions biogenic carbonate may be replaced by phosphorite (as off the coast of South Africa beneath the Benguela Current).
- The late Neoproterozoic Doushantuo Formation in South China contains several exceptionally preserved biotas in its cherts, phosphorites, and black shales.
- Fossiliferous, thin marine shales, associated with biochemical precipitates such as glauconite and phosphorite, are common in transgressive systems tracts.
More definitions of phosphoriteDefinition of phosphorite in:
- The British & World English dictionary