verb[with object] chiefly Biochemistry
Introduce a phosphate group into (a molecule or compound).
- This flavoprotein is a serine-threonine protein kinase able to phosphorylate its serine and threonine residues.
- Following sucrose cleavage by invertase, the liberated glucose and fructose are phosphorylated before undergoing further metabolism.
- These kinases have various substrates and have been shown to phosphorylate such diverse proteins as transcription factors, metabolic enzymes, ion pumps and cytoskeletal components.
- Example sentences
- Cytochrome oxidases are the terminal enzymes of aerobic electron transport phosphorylation.
- In animal cells serine, threonine and tyrosine are the amino acids subject to phosphorylation.
- As expected, casein phosphorylation occurred on serine and threonine residues.
For editors and proofreaders
Definition of phosphorylate in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.