1Relating to light, especially as an agent of chemical change or physiological response.
- To characterize this photic entrainment we examined frq expression in constant light, under which condition the mRNA and protein of this clock gene were strongly induced.
- Furthermore, extraretinal photoreceptors appear to be involved in the photic entrainment of the circadian clock.
- They are therefore true deep-brain photoreceptors that bypass the eyes as a pathway for photic information.
1.1 Ecology Denoting the layers of the ocean reached by sufficient sunlight to allow plant growth: an average depth for the photic zone is about 300 feet
More example sentences
- Seasonal highs that pushed this euxinic layer into the photic zone would then lead to the greatly increased preservation and the TOC maxima.
- Macroalgae benefit from this relationship because fertile drift plants are retained in the photic zone where they continue to contribute to the gene pool.
- The authors skimmed their bacteria samples from the top, or photic layer, of the Mediterranean and Red Seas.
Definition of photic in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.