Definition of photochromic in English:
(Of a substance) undergoing a reversible change in color or shade when exposed to light of a particular frequency or intensity: photochromic sunglasses
More example sentences
- When a photochromic material is exposed to light, the light absorption properties of the material change.
- Also, photochromic substances can be restored to their original state after being in the dark for a period of time.
- This reversible deprotonation and reprotonation causes the distinguished visible and fully reversible photochromic shift from purple to yellow.
- Example sentences
- Nagamura et al. have reported photochromism of the ion pair-charge transfer complexes of viologen derivatives with tetrakis [3,5-bis phenyl] borate as a counter anion.
- Investigations of the spiro [cyclohexadiene-indolines] revealed the photochromism to be highly solvent dependent.
- The wide interest for basic and applied research on photochromism in the last decade is well documented by two monographs.
Words that rhyme with photochromicgnomic, monochromic, ohmic
Definition of photochromic in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan