- A particle representing a quantum of light or other electromagnetic radiation. A photon carries energy proportional to the radiation frequency but has zero rest mass.More example sentences
- The world of the realist is populated by electrons and photons, quarks and gluons.
- Until now, physicists have only been able to entangle photons, electrons and atoms, using different methods in each case.
- A photon has zero rest mass, but it carries energy and momentum.
early 20th century: from Greek phōs, phōt- 'light', on the pattern of electron.
More definitions of photonDefinition of photon in:
- The British & World English dictionary