- A pigment whose chemical state depends on its degree of illumination, such as those in the retina of the eye.More example sentences
- The difference absorption spectroscopy in both living plasmodium and cell homogenate shows that there is a photopigment which converts reversibly between red and far-red types.
- There is no physiological evidence for a third photopigment sensitive to blue wavelengths.
- It could involve retinal photoreceptors, extraretinal photoreceptors in the pineal or elsewhere, photopigments such as cryptochromes within the retina or brain, or it might be mediated through a non-visual pathway.
More definitions of photopigmentDefinition of photopigment in:
- The British & World English dictionary