Definition of photoreceptor in English:
A structure in a living organism, especially a sensory cell or sense organ, that responds to light falling on it.
- Indeed, most organisms have evolved specialized photoreceptors for circadian light perception.
- Both Z and phototropin have been implicated as blue light photoreceptors of guard cells.
- All visual systems begin with photoreceptors, which are cells that respond to light energy.
- Example sentences
- The second mutant phenotype is a slower rate of photoreceptive disk membrane renewal in the outer segments, caused by perturbed phagocytosis of disk membranes.
- Higher plants have evolved a complex photoreceptive system involving distinct families of photoreceptors to perceive light signals.
- Visual pigments are photoreceptive molecules that occur in rod and cone photoreceptor cells in the retina and characterize the vision of an animal.
Definition of photoreceptor in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.