Definition of phragmites in English:
A common and invasive tall reed.
- Genus Phragmites, family Gramineae: several species, in particular the common reed (P. communis)
- Cattails and bulrushes will replace the invasive phragmites that have choked the waterways.
- Below, the greens of windswept reeds and phragmites are intersected constantly by the twisting, interlocking Hackensack and Passaic Rivers, canal drainages, raised highways and railroad tracks.
- Zebra mussels, phragmites, and exotic snails are but a few of the more pervasive impediments to the recovery of some listed species.
Definition of phragmites in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan