Definition of phragmites in English:
A common and invasive tall reed.
- Genus Phragmites, family Gramineae: several species, in particular the common reed (P. communis)
- Cattails and bulrushes will replace the invasive phragmites that have choked the waterways.
- Below, the greens of windswept reeds and phragmites are intersected constantly by the twisting, interlocking Hackensack and Passaic Rivers, canal drainages, raised highways and railroad tracks.
- Zebra mussels, phragmites, and exotic snails are but a few of the more pervasive impediments to the recovery of some listed species.
Modern Latin, from Greek phragmitēs 'growing in hedges', from phragma 'hedge'.
Definition of phragmites in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.