Definition of phyllotaxis in English:
The arrangement of leaves on an axis or stem.
- Poaceae species present a conserved distichous phyllotaxy (leaf position along the stem) and share common properties with respect to leaf initiation.
- The courses of these bundles were presented both in transverse sections chosen at characteristic points (where changes in phyllotaxy and bifurcation of leaf trace bundles occurred) and in longitudinal diagrams.
- There was a negative correlation between phyllotaxy and leaf primordium diameter: species with greater numbers of orthostichies or parastichies had smaller leaf primordia.
- Example sentences
- For example, in the case of sho mutants, the predominance of a distichous phyllotactic pattern is not recognizable by visual observation of the schematic alignment of primordia.
- The sympodia are arranged more or less parallel to the stem axis and follow the phyllotactic spirals of the leaves.
- It is interesting to note that there is no discontinuity in the phyllotactic pattern of the flowers between the different zones of the inflorescence.
Definition of phyllotaxis in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.