Definition of phylloxera in English:
A plant louse that is a pest of vines.
- Phylloxera vitifoliae, family Phylloxeridae, suborder Homoptera
- While growing succeeded there for decades, a plague of the plant louse phylloxera, followed by Prohibition and then the Depression, set the region back for years.
- They had replanted their land with vines after the phylloxera disaster, until a glut of cheap wine flooded the market, and they could no longer sell their only product.
- More important was the wine boom in Spain and Italy in the 1880s which took advantage of the phylloxera epidemic in France.
Mid 19th century: modern Latin, from Greek phullon 'leaf' + xēros 'dry'.
Definition of phylloxera in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.