Definition of phylloxera in English:
A plant louse that is a pest of vines.
- Phylloxera vitifoliae, family Phylloxeridae, suborder Homoptera
- While growing succeeded there for decades, a plague of the plant louse phylloxera, followed by Prohibition and then the Depression, set the region back for years.
- They had replanted their land with vines after the phylloxera disaster, until a glut of cheap wine flooded the market, and they could no longer sell their only product.
- More important was the wine boom in Spain and Italy in the 1880s which took advantage of the phylloxera epidemic in France.
Definition of phylloxera in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India