Definition of physalis in English:
A plant of a genus that includes the cape gooseberry and Chinese lantern, which have an inflated, lanternlike calyx.
- Genus Physalis, family Solanaceae: many species
- Take the physalis (cape gooseberry) I tried raising from seed for the first time this season, for instance.
- Sow physalis in heated propagator; plant out shallots; mulch blackcurrants and raspberries; tidy strawberry bed; finish compost trenches on allotment where squash will grow; weed incessantly.
- I've also been cheered up by the unexpected emergence of some physalis plants I'd convinced myself had died when I transplanted them.
Definition of physalis in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan