1The branch of medicine concerned with the treatment of disease by physical means such as manipulation, heat, electricity, or radiation, rather than by medication or surgery.
- They also teach two years of naturopathic therapeutics, such as nutrition, homeopathy, herbal medicine, counseling, and physical medicine.
- Nuad Bo'Rarn, the traditional physical medicine of Thailand, is practiced very slowly, with an emphasis on both the practitioner and client being in a heightened or meditative state of consciousness.
2The branch of medicine that treats biomechanical disorders and injuries.
- When I first started working at the Veteran's Hospital in 1971, the Veteran's Hospital had a pretty good physical medicine department, as did many other major hospitals.
- After further medical training in physical medicine and rehabilitation he was appointed consultant at the Brook Green Hospital, London.
- This includes staff members in mammography, nuclear medicine, radiation therapy, chemotherapy, physical medicine, and clinics.
For editors and proofreaders
Syllabification: phys·i·cal med·i·cine
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.