Definition of physician in English:
- This will include treatment from specialist physicians, physiotherapists and psychologists.
- We no longer trust the caring general practitioner, the wise physician, or the conscientious surgeon.
- A small proportion of the samples were referral samples sent by physicians in private practice.
- Known as the physician of the soul, he used astrology primarily as a means of helping to heal the soul rather than as a tool of prediction.
- The particular aim of this present symposium was to help illuminate the image of the diocesan priest as "spiritual physician."
The Old English word for a medical doctor was leech (despite popular belief, nothing to do with the worm, but a word meaning ‘a healer’). Physician arrived in the early Middle Ages, and goes back to Greek phusis ‘nature’, the root also of physical (Late Middle English), physics (Late Middle English), and numerous other English words. A doctor (Middle English) was originally not a physician but any learned person able to give an authoritative opinion, especially one of the early Christian theologians. The word started referring specifically to a medical expert at the start of the 15th century. It comes from doctor, the Latin for ‘teacher’, also found in words such as docile (Late Middle English) ‘willing to learn’; document (Late Middle English) ‘official paper, proof’; and doctrine (Late Middle English), originally the action of teaching.
physician, heal thyself
- proverb Before attempting to correct others, make sure that you aren’t guilty of the same faults.[with biblical allusion to Luke 4:23]Example sentences
- The most bizarre was a CNN discussion about whether there was too much news coverage of the crisis - physician, heal thyself!
- Clearly, it's a case of ‘physician, heal thyself’, as in, sort out the problems you and the Government are causing first before telling the rest of us that we are major contributors to inflation.
- Surprisingly, none of the assembled scientists shouted out ‘physician, heal thyself’.
Words that rhyme with physicianacademician, addition, aesthetician (US esthetician), ambition, audition, beautician, clinician, coition, cosmetician, diagnostician, dialectician, dietitian, Domitian, edition, electrician, emission, fission, fruition, Hermitian, ignition, linguistician, logician, magician, mathematician, Mauritian, mechanician, metaphysician, mission, monition, mortician, munition, musician, obstetrician, omission, optician, paediatrician (US pediatrician), patrician, petition, Phoenician, politician, position, rhetorician, sedition, statistician, suspicion, tactician, technician, theoretician, Titian, tuition, volition
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.