Definition of pia in English:
Short for pia mater.
- The cerebellomedullary cistern (cisterna magna) is the largest of the spaces containing cerebrospinal fluid between the arachnoid mater and the pia mater, and is located between the cerebellum and the medulla oblongata.
- The small arteries and capillaries of the pia mater in certain regions of the ventricular system form tufts, which invaginate into the ventricular cavity (choroid plexus).
- The cortical system of arterial branches ramifies over the cerebrum to supply the cortex with arterioles that anastomose in the pia mater.
- Example sentences
- Arteries carried in with the pial fold provide the choroid plexuses of the 3rd and lateral ventricles.
- In this section of newborn cerebellum (note the fetal granular layer), the arachnoid tissue in between the two cerebellar gyri is very cellular and the pial vessels are quite congested.
- Vasogenic edema from compressive ischemia, venous stasis or parasitization of pial vessels may also occur and can be extensive.
Pronunciation: /ˈpīəl/ /ˈpēəl/adjective
Definition of pia in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan