(also piassaba /-bə/)
1A stout fiber obtained from the leaf stalks of a number of South American and African palm trees.
- Piassava is a fibre extracted from a palm tree. It is found in the northeastern part of Brazil.
- Birch or beech wood is used for handles and the wooden grips, and horsehair, white fibre or piassava is used for bristles, depending on what the brush is to be used for.
- In addition he exported rubber and piassava.
1.1A palm tree producing piassava.
- This paper reports on the possible changing sexual expression of piassava palm.
- This is the case of the piassava palm (Leopoldinia piassaba), whose fibers were used even in those days to make brooms.
- The natural incidence range of the piassava palm tree is close to the coastal zone (up to 60 km inland) and it is mainly concentrated between 13°S and 17°S.
Definition of piassava in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.