noun[usually with modifier]
- 1A person or machine that gathers or collects something: a tomato pickerMore example sentences
- Investigations are continuing after raids on tomato and capsicum pickers and packers near the town.
- Today's tomato pickers toil in often dangerous conditions for rock-bottom wages; they must pick two tons of tomatoes to earn just $50.
- The action, led by the Coalition of Workers, follows a work stoppage last December and a hunger strike by six tomato pickers two seasons ago.
- 1.1A person who plays a plucked instrument, especially a guitar, banjo, or mandolin: a capable singer, writer, and pickerMore example sentences
- Besides being a fine banjo picker and showman, he took an unassuming but near academic interest in folk music.
- In my research I have come across a scattering of three-finger banjo pickers who precede him, and they seem to have connections to the three-finger guitar pickers.
- Over an adventurous career he has been a carpenter, welder, Vietnam combat veteran, honky tonk guitar picker, maker of custom Damascus knives and machinist.
More definitions of pickerDefinition of picker in:
- The British & World English dictionary