(also pictogram /-ˌɡram/)
Definition of pictograph in English:
1A pictorial symbol for a word or phrase. Pictographs were used as the earliest known form of writing, examples having been discovered in Egypt and Mesopotamia from before 3000 bc.
- However, the main reason for the difference between Egyptian Hieroglyphs and Sumerian pictograms came from the difference in the writing materials used by the two ancient civilizations.
- The exhibition provides a history of writing: pictogram, hieroglyph, cuneiform, alphabet, all of these are represented.
- The round harp is the classic string instrument of the earliest period in both regions; indeed, the earliest examples of Mesopotamian writing show a pictogram of a round harp.
1.1A pictorial representation of statistics on a chart, graph, or computer screen.
- Pictographs should be used carefully because the graphs may, either accidentally or deliberately, misrepresent the data.
- A pictograph is used to present statistics in a popular yet less statistical way to those who are not familiar with charts that contain numerical scales.
- So is there any problem with the depiction of statistics in the pictograph?
- Example sentences
- In a world now dominated by alphabetic languages, Chinese, based on characters, remains a pictographic tongue.
- Egyptian writing began as pictographic and was later combined with sound signs to produce a difficult and complicated script that the Greeks called hieroglyphics.
- Previously, scholars had believed that Maya writing was either pictographic or ideographic and had not ‘advanced’ to representing phonetic elements of any kind.
- Example sentences
- Artwork, especially as pictography, provided traditional people the means of conveying history, myths, and stories through successive generations.
- Chinese writing originated, as all writing did, in what is commonly called pictography, that is, in the drawing of simple pictures to represent the word for the object in question.
- Pictography is a form of writing whereby ideas are transmitted through drawing. It is the basis of cuneiform and hieroglyphs.
Definition of pictograph in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan