- 1.1A platform supported on pillars or girders, used as a landing stage for boats.More example sentences
- The grounds include a boat shed and pier with river and lake frontages, as well as lawn areas and a number of mature shrubs.
- A safety zone was established around all visiting Navy and foreign ships as they transited to their berths at Manhattan's piers on the Hudson River.
- Here, piers for lake boats delivering coal and oil to wholesale distributors, as well as building materials, were busy for many decades.
- 1.2A structure supported on pillars leading out to sea and used as an entertainment area, typically incorporating arcades and places to eat.More example sentences
- However, visits to arcades on piers or family amusement centres suggest that this form of gambling is no longer conducted within a family environment.
- The shops weren't as good, there were no amusement arcades and no pier or beach.
- The news of the overspend comes as work continues at the shore end of the pier to build a new entrance bridge across the road.
- 1.3A breakwater or mole.More example sentences
- The 1.1-acre site has access to a small bathing area and harbour enclosed by a concrete pier and a breakwater.
- The harbour entrance itself was guarded by two breakwater piers of heavy sandstone construction for most of their length.
- The trunnions and all the operational machinery are housed within the superstructure of the carina piers.
- 2A solid support designed to sustain vertical pressure, in particular.More example sentences
- Also include some of the pier / vertical supports under the center area as well as the perimeter ones.
- The analysis will also result in a recommendation for the maximum end-bearing pressure for bedrock piers.
- The piers are designed as hollow box sections with an average height of 25 m.
- 2.1A pillar supporting an arch or a bridge.More example sentences
- Various foundation types have been adopted to support the bridge piers and abutments.
- ‘We could have built a conventional multi-span bridge supported by piers for about 20 per cent less,’ he said.
- He said: ‘These were then lifted one at a time into place on top of the supporting piers to form the bridge.’
- 2.2A section of a wall between windows or other adjacent openings.More example sentences
- The initial solution was the masonry vault, or a barrel-shaped, load-bearing span that supported the floor above, and rested on massive, and expensive, walls and piers.
- Meanwhile the two piers between the windows are equal in width.
- The window piers at Hampton Court are also too narrow to accommodate any of the illustrated tables except Figure 5.
Middle English: from medieval Latin pera, of unknown origin.