Definition of pigfish in English:
noun (plural same or pigfishes)
1A deep-bodied scaleless fish with a protuberant snout, living in the cooler seas of the southern hemisphere.
- Family Congiopodidae: several genera and species
- Huge abalone, crayfish, dogfish, beautiful seahorses, blue cod, southern pigfish and carpet sharks are just some of the inhabitants to look out for.
- Inside, I find shoals of cardinalfish, then on the hull some nosy red pigfish and resting goatfish.
- Young Pigfish are pinkish with thin stipes on the sides of the body and red lines on the head.
2 [usually with modifier] Any of a number of other marine fishes, especially one that grunts.
- Like other members of the grunt family, a pigfish makes a grunting sound by rubbing the teeth in their throat together.
- Pigfish are members of the grunt family (Haenulidae) which are noted for the rasping or grunting sounds they make in their throat when captured on a hook or otherwise disturbed.
- Pigfish (Orthopristis chrysoptera) are in the grunt family and are another good bait for most bottom fish.
Definition of pigfish in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan