- 1A hickory tree that bears nuts with thin husks.
More example sentences
- Genus Carya, family Juglandaceae: four North American species, black hickory (C. texana), pignut hickory (C. glabra), sand hickory (C. pallida), and scrub hickory (C. floridana)
- Atop the plateau the dominant trees are white oak, northern red oak, chestnut oak, shagbark hickory, mockernut hickory, and pignut hickory.
- Summer visitors to Davies Meadows can enjoy wandering amongst an array of wild flowers including green-winged orchids, yellow-rattle, knapweed, pignut and meadow vetchling.
- Black oak, red oak, chinquapin oak, bitternut hickory, and pignut hickory are common near hill summits, where the driest conditions prevail.
- 2 another term for earthnut ( sense 1).More example sentences
- In spite of the fact that Pignut used to be grubbed up by pigs and people alike for food, it can still be found in open dry woodlands, scrub, sandy heaths, commons and other rough grasslands in most of the British Isles.
- I have just got back from a bushcrafting weekend staying in some woods, and in those woods were the most amount of pignuts any of us have ever seen.
More definitions of pignutDefinition of pignut in:
- The British & World English dictionary