Definition of pigskin in English:
1The hide of a domestic pig.
- Wine was frequently stored in cueros, pigskins lined with pitch or resin which tainted the wine.
- We have to find them, kill them, wrap them in a pigskin and bury them.
- Indeed, the ancient purity laws of Leviticus in the Old Testament prohibit the activities of ingesting shellfish or touching a dead pigskin.
1.1Leather made from this.
- Anmar took out his last little swatch of pigskin leather from the bag at his feet.
- Since touching the skin of a dead pig makes one ‘unclean,’ no one can wear gloves made of pigskin.
- It's that I have come to resemble a huge, distended pigskin sack that has been stuffed to bursting point with offal and custard by greedy giants.
2North American informal A football.
- Early in his career, which began in 1995 with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Holcomb seemed more comfortable with a clipboard in his hands than a pigskin.
- His main competition at training camp has been there the whole time, sweating it out with his teammates, and throwing the pigskin pretty well, one might add.
- As you chuck it to one of your receivers or are playing defense on the thrown ball, the pigskin almost seems to disappear for a split second.
Definition of pigskin in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia