Definition of pika in English:
A small mammal related to the rabbits, having rounded ears, short limbs, and a very small tail.
- Family Ochotonidae and genus Ochotona: many species, including the collared pika (O. collaris) of western North America
- Their principle source of food is mice, but squirrels, snowshoe hares, and pikas are also popular.
- The ermine's diet consists primarily of mice, but they also prey upon cottontails, small hares, porcupines, squirrels, pikas, and rats.
- Elephant shrews (no relation), pikas, and Tupaia treeshrews share both absentee-like maternal care and diurnality - that is, they are active during the day, when prey is more easily spotted by predators.
early 19th century: from Tungus piika.
Definition of pika in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia