A machine for driving piles into the ground.
- Katrin grabbed a cot from downstairs and set it up in the middle of the piledriver.
- Most days of the week, the sound of piledrivers is at near-deafening levels outside St. Paul's Convent School in the Causeway Bay business district of Hong Kong.
- On the far side of this broad stretch of water jackhammers and piledrivers rattle away on a swathe of residential development around the new Dockland Museum.
pile-driving noun& adjective
- Example sentences
- I don't mean to come down too hard, because they still know how to deliver a good piledriving riff.
- A spokesman for Bradford Council said: ‘We are currently in negotiation with the developer's solicitors to try to reduce the impact piledriving is having on neighbours in Grange Close.’
- It's a mood reflected in a set of lyrics that grapple with the doubts and regrets of middle age - as Mould laments on the piledriving opener ‘Circles,’ ‘my circle of friends is shrinking’.
For editors and proofreaders
Syllabification: pile driv·er
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.