Definition of pileated woodpecker in English:
A large North American woodpecker with mainly black plumage and a red cap and crest.
- Dryocopus pileatus, family Picidae
- While hiking, canoeing, kayaking, or eating a picnic lunch, watch for Gulf Coast spiny softshell turtles, loggerhead shrikes, pileated woodpeckers, Seminole bats, and spotted salamanders.
- After contemplating the hard life of the hard-rock miner, take a hike on the Eureka Peak Loop Trail, where we spotted a Sierra aviary of birds, including pileated woodpeckers and calliope hummingbirds.
- In the woods, a variety of large and small animals and birds are attracted to red maple, including deer, elk, screech owls, moose and pileated woodpeckers.
Late 18th century: pileated from Latin pileatus 'capped', from pileus 'felt cap'.
Definition of pileated woodpecker in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan