Definition of pilgrim in English:
- For Goddess pilgrims, as for orthodox religious pilgrims, the sacred place is a place of power which can work upon the pilgrim at various levels of their being.
- Nonetheless, pilgrims of whatever religious belief often find the hike to be one of the most spiritually meaningful events of their lives.
- Along the way Clark relates the stories of 11th-century religious pilgrims alongside her contemporary journey of rediscovery.
- Massachusetts, where the pilgrims and puritans landed, has just ruled that gay people can marry.
- The Mayflower pilgrims were sent back to sea from the coast of Massachusetts, because the immigration quotas were full.
- The Bronsville turkey was a wild kind that those pilgrims, who sailed on the famous Mayflower, took a taste to.
verb (pilgrims, pilgriming, pilgrimed)[no object] archaic Back to top
- On Sunday night I pilgrimed to Dundas to see Pernell Goodyear and the Freeway with Darryl and Charlene Dash.
- I think I have to pilgrim to Urbanville, but not til the semester's over.
- The cobbled streets aged from the many feet that pilgrim to the popular spot.
This is one of the earliest words that came into English from French, just after the Norman Conquest in 1066. It goes back to Latin peregrinus, ‘foreign, alien’, the source of peregrinate ‘to wander from place to place’, and of peregrine. The peregrine falcon was called the ‘pilgrim falcon’ because falconers caught individuals fully grown on migration rather than taking them from the nest. The Pilgrim Fathers were the English Puritans who sailed across the Atlantic in the Mayflower and founded the colony of Plymouth, Massachusetts, in 1620.
- ( archaic )Example sentences
- The Guoqing Temple, the ancestral temple of Tiantai-sect of the Japanese and Korean Buddhism, is where over 3.00 million Tiantai-sect Buddhists in Japan, South Korea and Southeast Asia pilgrimize.
- Indian and Nepali citizens holding ordinary passport should join a pilgrimage group if planning to pilgrimize in Tibet.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.