Definition of pinch-run in English:
verb[no object] Baseball
Substitute for another as a base runner, typically at a critical point in the game.
- In one game, with runners on first and second base, Alvin Dark sent Washington in to pinch-run at first base.
- Henson made his major-league debut on Thursday, pinch-running for Bernie Williams in the 8th inning.
- You can pinch-run a slow guy and hell steal a base.
- 1pinch runner noun
- Example sentences
- Hernand got his own milestone in the bottom of the eighth, stroking a single to right for his first major-league hit, then yielding to pinch-runner Alfonso.
- On May 5, the A's decided they could no longer afford to carry three pinch-runners.
- If he sticks long-term with the Yankees, which won't be easy given New York's current flock of outfielders, it figures to be as a pinch-runner in late-inning situations.
Definition of pinch-run in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.