Definition of pincushion in English:
1A small cushion into which pins are stuck for convenient storage.
- Or have you stuck them like pincushions with all your needles?
- Frowning, she takes the pin out of her mouth and sticks it into a soft strawberry-shaped pincushion.
- They began to make floral designs with their glass beads and applied these new shapes to many useful things, including pincushions, handbags, sewing cases, and clothing.
1.1 (also pincushion distortion) A form of optical distortion in which straight lines along the edge of a screen or a lens bulge toward the center.
- Examining the camera we noted no astigmatism, curvature of field, rolling distortion, or pincushion distortion.
- Focusing the scopes on the distant brick wall with its very distinct vertical and horizontal lines, we checked for pincushion distortion (lines bowing in) and barrel distortion (lines bowing out).
- However I did note a small amount of pincushion distortion.
Definition of pincushion in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan