Definition of pine marten in English:
A marten with a dark brown coat, a yellowish throat, and a bushy tail.
- Genus Martes, family Mustelidae: two species, M. martes of northern Eurasia, and M. americana of North America, especially Canada and Alaska
- As well as being extremely rare, the pine marten - a member of the weasel family - is a shy creature that would seek to avoid humans.
- Although many think the species is a type of bird, the pine marten is actually a bushy-tailed and foxy-faced tree-climbing mammal, similar to a ferret - but as big as a cat.
- A pine marten rested high above our heads while a gaggle of monkeys swung through the very highest branches where the occasional owl perched imperiously on guard.
Definition of pine marten in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan