Definition of pine marten in English:
A marten with a dark brown coat, a yellowish throat, and a bushy tail.
- Genus Martes, family Mustelidae: two species, M. martes of northern Eurasia, and M. americana of North America, especially Canada and Alaska
- As well as being extremely rare, the pine marten - a member of the weasel family - is a shy creature that would seek to avoid humans.
- Although many think the species is a type of bird, the pine marten is actually a bushy-tailed and foxy-faced tree-climbing mammal, similar to a ferret - but as big as a cat.
- A pine marten rested high above our heads while a gaggle of monkeys swung through the very highest branches where the occasional owl perched imperiously on guard.
Definition of pine marten in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.