Definition of pinesap in English:
A saprophytic woodland plant related to wintergreen, lacking chlorophyll and bearing one or more waxy bell-shaped flowers.
- Two species in the family Monotropaceae (or Pyrolaceae): the yellow or reddish Monotropa hypopithys (also called false beechdrops), common in eastern North America, and the pinkish or purplish violet-scented Monotropsis odorata (also called sweet pinesap)
- The flowers of Pinesap are in clusters, while each stem of Indian Pipe is solitary.
- Pinesap, like its relative Indian pipe has no chlorophyll, so it cannot obtain energy from sunlight. Instead, it gets nutrients from organic matter in the soil.
- Because Pinesap is an indirect parasite of the autotrophic plant, it is sometimes referred to as an epiparasite.
Definition of pinesap in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.