Definition of pinesap in English:
A saprophytic woodland plant related to wintergreen, lacking chlorophyll and bearing one or more waxy bell-shaped flowers.
- Two species in the family Monotropaceae (or Pyrolaceae): the yellow or reddish Monotropa hypopithys (also called false beechdrops), common in eastern North America, and the pinkish or purplish violet-scented Monotropsis odorata (also called sweet pinesap)
- The flowers of Pinesap are in clusters, while each stem of Indian Pipe is solitary.
- Pinesap, like its relative Indian pipe has no chlorophyll, so it cannot obtain energy from sunlight. Instead, it gets nutrients from organic matter in the soil.
- Because Pinesap is an indirect parasite of the autotrophic plant, it is sometimes referred to as an epiparasite.
Definition of pinesap in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia