- The gun's trigger guard cracked with a high-pitched ping, but the sound was pretty much lost in the screaming.
- Beeps, blips and pings are the everyday sounds that we live with, thanks to our push-button gizmos and fast-paced lifestyle.
- It will be interesting now to see, when the oven pings, if the whole confection really is a recipe for success.
- The engine pings, but there's something else, too, very far away.
- Once you're there, though, the knocks and pings always seem to disappear, leaving you with a lot of explaining to do.
- The engine developed a mysterious wheeze and ping.
- Eventually he rams it into gear and inches it backward as the line tightens slowly until a sound like a rifle report pings through the chassis.
- The sergeant was interrupted by the sound of machine gun bullets pinging on the craft's armor.
- The sound has pierced through the windows and is pinging off the stone walls in the courtyard.
- To test your IPv6 connection, first try pinging something with the ping6 program on both the gateway and a connected host.
- Try pinging or otherwise connecting to hosts on the remote network; the connection should behave no differently from before when you brought the tunnel up.
- The laptop sitting on the center console continuously pinging at the networks being discovered.
- I guess you could think of pinging as eye contact via mobile phone; just enough information is conveyed to be useful, but not so much that it disrupts what you're already doing.
- Some people ping us directly, and most of the rest comes from blogs - which polls Weblogs.com once an hour.
- To get blogs is easy nowadays and so you just spam by writing pseudo blogs and linking and pinging.
Mid 19th century: imitative.
This word imitates the noise. The game ping-pong got its name in the early 20th century from the sound of a bat striking a ball.
Words that rhyme with pingBeijing, bing, bring, Chungking, cling, ding, dingaling, fling, I Ching, king, Kunming, ling, Ming, Nanjing, Peking, ring, sing, Singh, sling, spring, sting, string, swing, Synge, thing, ting, wing, wring, Xining, zing
For editors and proofreaders
Definition of ping in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.