North American informal
Definition of pink slip in English:
A notice of dismissal from employment.
- Bank One has recently announced that 5,100 employees will get pink slips.
- Here is a man so richly deserving of a pink slip that his dismissal on such minor grounds leaves a sour taste.
- In the Department of Transportation, pink slips will go out to 83 workers, mostly at city parking lots and at the Staten Island ferry, which would see its already crowded rush-hour service reduced by 25 percent.
verb(pink-slip) [with object] Back to top
Dismiss (someone) from employment.
- The wage cuts, dated back to April 1, mean pink-slipped staff will get a bill for overpaid wages as well.
- Owner Jerry Jones wasted little time in pink-slipping Dave Smith and hiring Bill Brown, the quintessential fixer-upper.
- The darkest moment came in the spring of 2001, when 400 of his colleagues were pink-slipped.
Early 20th century: from the pink paper on which some notices of dismissal were formerly written.
Definition of pink slip in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.