North American informal
Definition of pink slip in English:
A notice of dismissal from employment.
- Bank One has recently announced that 5,100 employees will get pink slips.
- Here is a man so richly deserving of a pink slip that his dismissal on such minor grounds leaves a sour taste.
- In the Department of Transportation, pink slips will go out to 83 workers, mostly at city parking lots and at the Staten Island ferry, which would see its already crowded rush-hour service reduced by 25 percent.
verb(pink-slip) [with object] Back to top
Dismiss (someone) from employment.
- The wage cuts, dated back to April 1, mean pink-slipped staff will get a bill for overpaid wages as well.
- Owner Jerry Jones wasted little time in pink-slipping Dave Smith and hiring Bill Brown, the quintessential fixer-upper.
- The darkest moment came in the spring of 2001, when 400 of his colleagues were pink-slipped.
early 20th century: from the pink paper on which some notices of dismissal were formerly written.
Definition of pink slip in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan