Definition of pinnacle in English:
1A high, pointed piece of rock.
- As we chugged along the vivid green Wuyang River towards Dragon King Gorge, thickly forested crags and pinnacles of rock rose high above.
- A solid mass of white water surged around great pinnacles of rock, over a hundred feet below me.
- The Pyramids of Zone may sound like a New Age cure - but these spindly pinnacles of soft rock, most of which have large boulders perched on top like small atomic explosions, are as Ice Age as they come.
1.1A small pointed turret built as an ornament on a roof.
- The structure reminded Manda of a creepy haunted mansion she'd often seen in movies, the grouped chimneys and pinnacles, the sloping roof, the parapets and the oriel and quatrefoil windows.
- Conical spires on top support pinnacles that enabled the towers to obtain the coveted height record.
- At times, the flourish over the city of towers and spires, domes, cupolas and pinnacles has an insubstantial visionary quality, seeming detached from the sturdy fabric beneath.
1.2The most successful point; the culmination: he had reached the pinnacle of his career
More example sentences
- Being rich, successful and at the pinnacle of your profession appears to be frowned upon if you are David Beckham.
- Thackeray said the BJP had touched the pinnacle of success under Vajpayee's leadership and lamented that some ambitious leaders in the party were eyeing his place.
- After working in the hospitality industry for 21 years, Gao has proved herself to be a person who reaches the pinnacle of success in whatever field she involves herself.
verb[with object] literary Back to top
- Example sentences
- With the help of computerized technology, it is slowly being restored to its former domed and pinnacled baroque shape.
- A good orientation point is the pinnacled Scott Monument, dedicated to Scottish novelist and poet Sir Walter Scott, set in Princes Street Gardens.
- Behind the stronghold, majestic pinnacled houses are guarded by a many-towered city-wall.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan