- A carnivorous aquatic mammal of the order Pinnipedia, such as a seal or walrus.More example sentences
- Killer whales also prey on mammals such as other cetaceans and pinnipeds, as well as on birds and large fish.
- Porpoising is a behavioral strategy used by small cetaceans and pinnipeds moving at high speed near the water surface.
- This sensitivity could provide a means to track a dead whale's scent from miles away or find a pinniped rookery or haul-out site from their excrement droppings carried by the oceans currents.
adjectiveBack to top
- Relating to or denoting pinnipeds.More example sentences
- We tested 42 microsatellite loci isolated from five pinniped species in a sample of 52 pups.
- A healthy avoidance of pinniped colonies is another way to minimize human fatalities.
- They look like seals, but sea lions actually belong to a different pinniped family.
More definitions of pinnipedDefinition of pinniped in:
- The British & World English dictionary